| Capitol Theater Interior,
The Capitol Theater is a landmark
of special significance to Port Chester, as well as to the region.
Built in 1926, it was designed by Thomas W. Lamb, whose work included
New York’s second Madison Square Garden, the Mark Hellinger
Theater, as well as numerous other theaters. It is the last remaining
work by Lamb in Westchester. Its exterior design, as noted by architectural
historian Frank Sanchis, is in the Renaissance style, while the
interior is a combination of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern eclecticism.
The Capitol was originally intended to be a venue for traveling Broadway
productions, but over the years its use greatly diversified to include
performances by well known comedians, big bands and rock musicians.
By the 1970s its draw had declined markedly, and finally it closed
in 1976. After undergoing extensive renovations, the Capitol Theater
reopened to the public in 1984. It is currently operating as a facility
for special events with catering.
This record is associated with: