Incorporated in 1870, Tarrytown is one of six villages within the Town of Greenburgh. First settled by the Dutch in the 1680s, the name for this Hudson River community may have come from the Dutch word “Tarwe dorp,” meaning “wheat town,” since wheat was grown and milled in the area at that time.

Visit the Village of Tarrytown online

Major John André Collection,

Abraham DeRevere’s
School Workbook, 1811

Pocantico Gazette,
Sept. 1846

Lyndhurst Sewing
School Collection,
ca. 1905

Records of the Tappan Zee
Bridge Construction,
1951 - 1955


George Washington Letter
to Colonel Benjamin Tallmadge,
July 25, 1779

Washington Irving Letter,
Nov. 23, 1835

Washington Irving's Will,
Dec. 3, 1858

Documents from
Miss Mason’s School, The Castle,